My Blog List

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Start with a Crash!



Well this week started off with a crash ... I opened the cabinet to get a mug for my morning tea and a crystal glass exploded - yes exploded out of the cupboard. In my kitchen that means hitting a hard ceramic floor - lesson ... never get a ceramic floor, they're hard as rocks and cold to the feet, and EVERYTHING breaks on contact! This does not bode well for the coming week, uhoh....
Monday I have 1/2 day off work as the CQA ladies are coming to town. I volunteered (since I'm on campus already) to be one of the drivers and pick the ladies up from their hotel and deliver them to the venue we're inspecting. Hmm, didn't think about it but this also puts me on the hook, so to speak, for driving them to dinner, to the meeting post dining and then back again. This on the last week of a long expensive month, and Im trying to slide through to pay day on $20. Don't think I'll make it ....

Had mother over yesterday morning for tea and pumpkin cake - the one the ladies didn't finish off. She announced for the second week in a row that's she's depressed. No wonder! She's experienced perhaps her own annus horribilis. She gave up her home and moved into an apartment. Now she has to pay rent for the first time in 2 1/2 decades and it's eating up her income in a way she's not used to. She was rear ended by an aggressive driver in November and suffered multiple whiplass after effects including a return of her Meniere's and stiffness for several months. The she came down with that horrible cold that wouldn't go away. She just got hearing aids and is adjusting to a much louder world, and now, to top it all off someone inconsiderate Ahole in the building is playing their stereo well into the middle of the night (4 am!) Regardless of how many people tell her to do it, she'll never call the police on the Ahole, but will suffer in silence....
I do my best to help out. We go out to dinner every Friday, keep in contact through email and phone and , except for September, I try very hard to have her over for dinner regularly. My dear sweet soeur (sarcasm intended) has managed with the greatest of efforts to visit  mother once in the past year (we all live in the same city). I guess many families are like this - or so I'm told, there's always one that does all the work and one that does - well ....
I'll stop my whining now as there is really nothing that can be done, and I'll be strong and not feel guilty or
responsible for mother's problems ... it could be worse, much much worse. Besides, I have my own problems - don't we all?

I started this year's holiday gifts - yup, that's right, they're all getting homemade gifts - again!!! I got as far as finding the insulated quilt batting and cutting out the fabric for the casserole carriers (mine won't look like this). Now to machine quilt then put them together ... this could take awhile. I also pulled out the quilts and wall hangings I'm going to use for my "show". Did I tell you? I've been asked to put up a display of my quilts in the Library's Spencer Gallery. I've shown there before, but as part of a group display, never all on my own. So, this will take some work to make up descriptive paper labels, hang the quilts securely, and create an artist's statement! Wish me luck - looks like my schedule will be crazy from now to ever!
TTFN

No comments: