My Blog List

Saturday, July 14, 2018

All over but the Crying

Well,  it's all over. My move to a retirement home that is. It's been a long and stressful haul :( not helped by my poor health and a couple of heat waves! None-the-less the worst is over - YEAH! My newly slip covered couch and chair arrived today so I finally have somewhere to sit - bonus!
I went with an off white fabric. I always wanted a white couch and now am hoping I don't regret it. We'll see. I placed Dad's quilt over the back and the small green cushions from my former front hall church pew. Love the look, so am happy. See, some things do work out :)
I've placed my remaining artwork around the room. Still have to put my few knick knacks out, but it's beginning to feel homey. The unpacking is all done and I admit to very few regrets re what was left behind, given away or sold off. It's quite an adjustment and way more than I had planned or anticipated. The packing was helped tremendously by friends and family. A HUGE THANK YOU to my sister Christine, brother-in-law Vince and nephew Mark, and my friends Ann, Susan and Mibs :). The adjustment phase has not been quite as easy with some indelicate (aka thoughtless, not funny) remarks about how I got rid of things, what I got rid of, or my present state of health ... What can you do except
I have 2 large rooms and set up a sewing nook in the back corner. Doesn't look like much and a lot less than what I had in the condo, but it's better than nothing. The desk to the right can be used as my cutting table. I don't do too much (read that as almost none) machine quilting, preferring to hand quilt, so this should work out. I did have to give up my design wall which I will sorely miss.
I salvaged a wee bit of china (my strawberry basket, teapot, cream & sugar, some cake plates and 4 coffee mugs) and have stowed those away in my jam cupboard. As you can see I also brought along my stereo and one of my stained glass windows and my stars :).
The bedroom is large which is good as I have used one wall to build shelving to hold my stuff, these rooms have a serious lack of closet space, coming from 4 closets down to 2 :(.  I kept 6 of the best of my vintage quilts and plan on hanging them on the vintage drying racks beside the bed. When I finally get my Canada 150 quilt done I plan on hanging it over the bed on the wood curtain rod  I saved from my parents home.
They provide the valances and window blinds so it was no problem leaving all my window coverings at the condo. Closing on my condo was yesterday and the $ should be in my account shortly - woohoo! Now to get on with the remaining move related tasks and get back to my quilting! Next month I'll be hosting our sewing group here so they'll all get to see what modern  retirement homes are all about, they feed me three times per day, clean my place once per week, change my bed and launder my linens once per week. I get to live on one floor, don't have to cook, clean  or grocery shop.  And even better,  they'll get my car from the lot, clean it off and deliver it to the door for me this winter. Not a bad deal as far as I'm concerned. Well that's all my "news" for now, but my family has had some fun news - they got to see/pose with the Stanley Cup!! My sister's neighbour works for the Washington Capitals and for some reason was allowed to bring the cup home for a weekend. So ...

TTFN

No comments: