My Blog List

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lessons Learned/Re-Learned

Well, last week I chatted about reading instructions, and the lesson I re-learned was that no matter how many times I read the instructions, my AAD (age attention deficit) will kick in and I will impulsively jump in where no woman dares to go ... and end up unsewing at least once!

This week I'm chatting about other life lessons I have re-learned! This past week was Septimana Horribilis for me (Horrible Week - for those who's Latin is a bit shy). It started off with a simple, private e-question that lead to a public "surprise" answer. OK, I have my big girl pants on, but didn't need to start the week swallowing that one. At work the next day I was again "surprised" at a committee meeting which led to added workload and another committee involvement (like I don't have enough?!) Wednesday was spent eating crow and making amends for the Monday surprise. Thursday was guild meeting where I distributed an updated Stitch-n-Bitch address/schedule. One of the participants bemoaned the list as it didn't quite suit her ....! Lesson re-learned = NEVER volunteer to be the organizer 'cause ya can't make everyone happy (sometimes nobody)!
Also on Thursday I sent off a quick blurb about copyright and quilting (I had been asked about it the month before), only to have my submission queried. I'm pretty sure what I sent was an OK article, so the question stung a wee bit. Lessons re-learned, proof read twice (at least) before hitting send, and never never write another article for the newsletter!
Just to top the week off - this is what we woke up to on Friday ... Lesson re-learned = Spring never comes fast enough!!
P.S.: I've heard a few people agree with me about volunteering.... The best carrot for getting volunteers and keeping them is to treat them with respect and appreciation!

2 comments:

regan said...

Yep, volunteers usually get poked at pretty hard with very sharp sticks! Why, oh why, do we keep doing it!?!

Sounds like you need to make Sunday a really good "ME" day! Maybe some easy quilting, a feel good movie on the dvd.....cocoa, tea or wine (your choice!).....and definitely some really good chocolate!

I think I'm wanting one of those days now, too! lol

Hope next week turns out better!

mffoxy said...

Well said, being treated with respect is a deserved by all - it's no wonder people shy away from stepping up to help in any fashion...what's the point nothing we do seems to be "acceptable" by some and then there are those who just seem to think they are better than the rest...where those attitudes comes from is beyond me...I hope I never make anyone feel their contribution is not appreciated ever and if ever I mess up I would appreciate it being brought to my attention because we are human, we can't please everyone and can't be friends with everyone no matter how hard we try...the best we can do is know we have done our best and hope it's been appreciated.