I really should know by now ... as soon as I start a Fix it Please project more come out of the woodwork! I was just about to start on the baby quilt fix-it job (see last post) when Father Dearest dropped by with a royal blue bridge tablecloth seven inches too big ---- fix it please. Well, with Father's Day coming how could I refuse? Having never worked with plasticized fabric I approached the job with some trepidation .... but once I got started it seemed to work out OK. - Phew!
Onwards to the Fix It Please baby quilt job. So, since my local fabric store was having a 50% off sale, yes, you read correctly, 50% off, I made the necessary trip to acquire some plain cotton (broadcloth) and other sympathetic fabrics with which to repair the 1) area with zero batting and backing, 2) threadbare appliques and 3) binding. The loving mother was perhaps a seamstress, but definitely not a quilter as most appliques were applied with an unusual zigzag stitch. Coming from the late 1960's-early 70's this baby quilt also contains non-cotton fabrics, aka polyesters and other "fab" fabrics. So, this is one of the biggest challenges in repairing vintage quilts. Wish me luck!