My Blog List

Friday, May 15, 2009

Always a Bridemaid

So, last night was challenge night at the guild, the theme this year was Canadian, aka anything with a maple leaf. So at last winter's shop hop I noticed this kit and thought - hey, that would be good for Canada Day as one of my door hangings ... and bonus - it will work for the challenge! So after piecing the maple leaf I got another brainstorm and decided to add the silhouette from another pattern with trees and a Mountie with his horse. A Mountie, for those readers who aren't overly familiar with Canadian culture, is a Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) person and they are famous for their musical ride.

So, I pieced together the border from the leftover red squares, found a piece of white with red maple leaves for the back, then bound it in black. I hand quilted (yes ladies, it's hand stippled!) and it only took me a month, not like last year's challenge which took me 3 months! All in all I'm pleased with the results and happy to at least win - ok ok - it's third prize for the second year in a row. I was feeling kinda bad since I used a kit for the challenge, but hey - the person who won first prize used a kit (I think I recognized it), so what the heck! ... Maybe next year I'll move on up to second prize?

TTYL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE the quilt. It looks amazing! I feel that I should give you a heads up that if it goes missing, I might know where it is. Congrats on the 3rd place as well.