My Blog List

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Quiltus Interruptus

Well I'm deep into panic mode ... I'm sure I'll never get the stupid thing done. Why do I think I can work full time, go to quilt shows on the weekend, visit family and friends, do my spring cleaning and still complete a dual challenge for the two quilt guilds I'm in ??? Am I superwoman ??? No - just crazy or overly ambitious!

Well, it could be that I was truly inspired - yeah, that's right, inspired! Aha! The one guild's challenge is anything to do with Elvis. Hmm, ok, I'm a wee bit young to have experienced Elvis, but I do remember my aunt taking me to see the movie Blue Hawaii .
Now the other quild used a fat quarter of Laurel Burch's Ocean Songs fabric. So, I decided to make a wall hanging using the Hawaiian quilting technique, with lots of fish - some of them blue of course - and fussy cut some of the Laurel Burch fabric around the outer edge. Well , so far so good.

I do a search on Amazon and find just the perfect Hawaiian quilt book. It appeals to me for multiple reasons, one being that the proceeds go towards the Hawaiian Humane Society, the other being the lovely cat pictures ... (No, there will be no cat in my wall hanging!) So,
I order the book through my local University bookstore and it arrives just before Xmas - wohoo! Again, so far so good. I get started doing the applique in the New Year and dutifully work away stitching this thing together.
Then - I get the brilliant idea that I have to do a whole lot of beading, and voila - it's now one week before the challenge is due and YIKES - I'm still quilting it! OMG I'll never get the stupid thing done!!! And I wanted to do a whole bunch of echo quilting around the outside, and a scalloped border - WHO AM I KIDDING?
Now, if only I could get the cat to stop nagging me to "play with me mommy - play with me" or "please mommy, let me sleep on your lap" I might - just might get the quilting done - of course it will be covered in cat hair - but it may just get done!

Wish me luck ladies ~~~




No comments: