My Blog List

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Lil' Witch and Pumpkins

Yahoo ! I finally have a Halloween door hanging. Not that I get a lot of kiddies at the door, but I'm just a big kid myself and want to get into the spirit of the season.... So anyway, I found this pattern - free - on the internet (from Angie's Bits & Pieces) ... thank you ,thank you, thank you! Of course the 50% off at my local fabric store (see last post) helps a lot, and voila!I have a Lil' Witch hanging for my front door.
Since I took the process pledge I guess I'm bound to show you all the process details. I had the black and white check fabric some of the oranges and the brushed cotton turquoise I used for the backing - all in my stash. I pieced together about 5 different pieces of batting, using my zig zag stitch. For quilting I used invisible thread and managed to go through 3 quilting needles before I finally got the tension just right! Since I used the heat n bond applique method I outline stitch each applique piece, then machine quilted Boos in the purple borders, using tracing paper to help me with the lettering. A little echo quilting around the witch, some star buttons from my stash and she's done! I'm pleased - what do you think of her?
Since I was on a roll of getting some seasonal pieces completed I dug out a block from my Piecemaker Times and Seasons 2004 calendar pattern. This one involved using snippets. New to the technique I was not very comfy with the results, but liked the inside border fabric so much (none left - boo hoo) I always hesitated tossing it out. Well, I decided it would make a nice door hanging - since it has wee pumpkins in the corner - so what the heck. The original block was meant to be on point and completed with crazy patchwork and lots of embroidery. I think my version will work just as well for a seasonal door hanging. Next weekend is my guild's biennial quilt show. They were a wee bit short on full sized items so I borrowed back one to put in the show. I promise to take pics and post them next week.
TTFN

No comments: