My Blog List

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Fun week :)

Well my Rose of Sharon bushes are in full bloom and it is so nice to sit outside and enjoy the view. Soon it will be time to find someone to trim them back to a reasonable size, but not yet! I had a cleaner in this week to help me prep for "the ladies". First time for me and I must say I was very very happy with the experience. Who needs to do housework when you can get someone else to do it, YEAH! She did a great job and I'll have her back for sure.
It left me time for the prep work for our luncheon. I made cucumber sandwiches, a first for me, deviled eggs, pineapple cheese and pear and apple cheese, and of course a plate of goodies, hello dollies and chocolate macaroons with a bowl of cherries in the middle. I served it all on my Great Aunt's Limoges china - it's a service for 12! Mother would be proud.
It's birthday week (not telling you how old I am, but I'm not yet a senior!), so the family gathered at my sister's place for hamburgers and cake - and oh what a cake! Yummmmmy!! My sister, her DH, daughter, grandkids and s-i-l are all off to a cottage for the next week. Lucky them. Here's William in his backyard playpen (aka plastic pool). He's not too sure who I am ....
And here's Claire with her new glasses - purple and pink - of course to match all her princess dresses!
Tonight I'm off to see Lady Macbeth with some friends, so that should end the week. I'll be ready for a rest on Sunday.
Earlier in August my sister & her hubby went up to Manitoulin Island for a Boyter reunion. I sent up the Lighthouse quilt I had made years ago for mother. I used a Piecemaker's calendar pattern for the quilt and embroidered in silver thread the names of our family Manitoulin lighthouse keepers, their lighthouses and their dates in the red inner border. In the outer blue border I quilted fish, since my great grandfather Albert Boyter fished out of Little Current on a 3 masted schooner - least that's the family story. I had lots of fun with this quilt, all hand appliqued, hand embroidered and hand quilted with lots of  button embellishments. I wanted someone in the family who felt connected to the Boyters and/or Manitoulin Island to have the quilt. Well, my cousin Tom Boyter, he who arranged the reunion, took the quilt and it has finally been hung, something mother never got done. Tom was close to mom and thought of her as a second mother so this quilt has found a great home. Here's a pic!

TTFN

No comments: